Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My current tenant in my rental unit (which is an apartment

Customer Question

My current tenant in my rental unit (which is an apartment that is attached to my home) changed the door handle and deadbolt lock without given me notice to do so, and now refuses to provide me with a spare set of keys. She had already given her 30 days notice about 10 days ago because I refused to care take for free her small lapdog (she had just moved in at the beginning of October). We have a signed 6 month lease, with no mention of dog car on my behalf (she just simply shoved the dog into my front door without given me notice and fled off the property for days at a time as she is a flight attendant. I accepted her 30 days notice and now need to show the unit to potential new tenants, but she is refusing to comply on providing me with the keys. I told her clearly that it is illegal to change the locks and lock the landlord out, and it is not permissible by Colorado law to interfere with my showing the unit during her 30 days notice period. I have notified her I will call the police this morning, and she is ignoring that I have put her on notice that I will contact the police. Am I allowed to change the lock myself (as she has disappeared again with the keys as of last night), and do you recommend that I have the police contact her as well? I do have potential tenants on hold to see the unit. Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
you can change the locks again. Acting through the police may be an appropriate way to get her attention. You can withhold the cost of changing the locks in the security deposit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Once I change the locks, then I am to provide her with her set of spare keys, correct?

Yes as she is still a tenant.