Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

We just bought a building on september here in Florida, when

Customer Question

We just bought a building on september here in Florida, when we got the building there were so many issues and a lot of tenants not paying the rent. Each tenant should have her own water/electricity account. One of the tenants that is not paying the rent has her water disconnected due to non payment because the water bill was so high. The previous told her they were going to help her lower the bill but they never did anything
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: So now we received a letter from legal services saying she is withholding the rent because of the water bill issue, and other stuff like refrigerator and range not functioning, mold in the apartment, etc. but I know the major issue is having a tenant with the utility disconnected. I sent a licensed plumber there to try to find out where the leak is located but since she has the water turn off there is no way of knowing where exactly it is miami, florida We haven't started the eviction because I know it may be an issue with the water turn off.. so I'm trying to fix that before starting the eviction what should I do?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: we haven't done anything regarding the eviction process... as I told you she went to a place called legal services and they sent a letter from a lawyer saying the give us time until 10/28 to fix those issues
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you need the copy of the letter we got from the tenants? from legal services
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

please clarify what it is you want t know about this situation, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can I proceed with the eviction if she has her water bill disconnected or it will be an issue in court?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are we liable or responsible for that?

Typically one cannot disconnect without court order. If you proceed with the eviction, that could be raised in defense. You can proceed nonetheless but obviously would be better if you work out a settlement, perhaps agreeing to a reduction in balance if tenant vacates promptly and issues a release.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We didn't disconnect the water, the water account is under tenant's name and It was disconnected in June way before the building was bought (around september). She is saying that she could not pay her water bill because it was to high and apparently because of a leak or something.

Then I see no problem with going to court.

You can of course still try to negotiate a settlement, but it is only through a court order that you can otherwise secure the outcome you seek. Practically, a local eviction lawyer can expedite the process and may be able to get a money judgment for any arrears. Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 28 days ago.

thank you in advance for taking a moment to rate me.