LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I had to break my lease earlier do to very serious health

Customer Question

Hi,I had to break my lease earlier do to very serious health issues and safety at the apt complex. I sent a letter to Mgmt and a doctor's note letting them know when we'll vacate the apt. I haven't hear anything. No letter, no call back, no nothing. I know they got all the paperwork I sent them via USPS and fax. Still, no answers. What should I do next? Can they just ignore me? I don't even know if they agree with the reasons why I need to move out. Thank u.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The management has no legal obligation to respond to your communication. And the fact that your health mandates that you cannot live where you are presently living---that is not a legal defense to breaking the lease. If you do break the lease, you will most likely have to continue to pay rent on the unit until the landlord is able to rent it out to a new tenant.

If you provided them with a day by which you will be leaving, then they have an obligation to start now to find a new tenant for the unit. If you did not give them a date certain that you will be out, then do so because that will force them to start looking for a new tenant and may eliminate your need to pay continuing rent after you move out.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Doug,Thank u for ur help. Let me ask u, can I list the apt for rent on the Internet ( apartments.com, etc) ... after I leave, even if I'm not the Landlord? This Apt complex is not normally listed on any website where Apts are available for rent. I need the Landlord or Mgr to show this apt asap. I believe that the landlord and Mgr won't care that the apt is empty and will keep charging me monthly. How can I move this issue forward? Thank u.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

I apologize for the delay. By the time you had provided your follow-up question I had left my office for the evening.

Yes, you may advertise your unit anywhere you would like and then pass the interested renters onto the landlord to consider for the rental. That is a good idea and is something that many people do in an effort to try to ensure that the unit is rented about the same time that they move out so that they are not charged for rent while the unit is vacant. Yes, by all means, go ahead and do your own advertising.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good day,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug