insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

Can a landlord in PA say they never got your rent and come

Customer Question

Can a landlord in PA say they never got your rent and come in to your store and tell you if you don't pay by tomorrow I'm changing the locks and selling your stuff or is this illegal self help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

That would be illegal. Pennsylvania is one of many states that now prohibit the use of self-help

altogether, requiring instead that commercial landlords use only the judicial process to remove tenants

in default or those who are otherwise wrongfully in possession. What that means is that even if you are in default, the landlord can not take any action to constructively evict you, such as locking you out or shutting off utilities, until and unless he first issues you a written notice to quit and then if you don't leave filing an unlawful detainer action with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. Only when a court has issued an eviction order can the landlord evict you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!