RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I did walk through and turned over keys to condo on Oct 6th,

Customer Question

I did walk through and turned over keys to condo on Oct 6th, my landlord has not returned my deposit or communicated why not.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Tucson Arizona
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I lived there for 9 years. Paid $925 deposit and $925 monthly, never late. Original lease went month to month after 1st year. Lease states issues resolved in 14 business days after turnover.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There were no damages beyond a miss drawer in the bathroom. Carpet was original from when Condo was built in 1996.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Arizona law says that a landlord must return a security deposit and/or give an accounting for any monies witheld within 14 days of demand by tenant for return of the deposit. That time does not include weekends or holidays. Assuming that time has now passed, the landlord can be held liable for up to two times the amount of the security deposit as a penalty.

I would recommend first that you send a letter informing the owner/agent that he/she had failed to timely respond, is therefore liable for damages in addition to the amount wrongfully withheld; and that if the specific amount is not returned to you within a given number of days (make it short, say, 7) you will commence a legal action to recover it plus the allowable damages. You can file a claim in court, if necessary, in small claims.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.