RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I recently rented a home, and then after i moved in, i

Customer Question

Hello, I recently rented a home, and then after i moved in, i realized it was on the market to be sold . New owners are military. I signed a1 year lease in September. Was i supposed to be diclosed that information? It has been very inconvenient with inspectors, tenting, etc. And if the new owners are military, do they have the right to terminate my lease whenever?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Can you tell me what state the property is located in, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
San diego California
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pretty sure they had an appraiser there at my home today with no 24hr notice

Thank you for your patience.

There is no law, federal or state, that says the landlord has to advise you at the time of entering into a lease, that the home is for sale.

However, you are correct that the landlord must give you reasonable notice before entering your home (unless it's an emergency). 24 hours is generally considered reasonable. Entry should also be only during normal business hours, unless otherwise agreed. The California Department of Consumer Affairs has great site that discusses this in detail here (scroll down about 3/4 of the way).

It's definitely something you need to make clear to the landlord/owners -you may even want to point them to the website or the laws cited on the page (in the footnotes). If the unauthorized entry without notice continues, you may sue the landlord for the damages you have suffered as a result.

If the home is sold, the new owners must take the home with the lease as written. In other words, no, they cannot simply insist you move. The new owner has to honor it. Evictions are warranted when a tenant fails to pay rent, damages property, violates the terms of the rental contract, stays after the lease is up, uses the property for an unlawful purpose, uses, manufactures, sells or possesses illegal drugs on the property, or causes a significant nuisance to other tenants. So, they can't just kick you out whenever, either. If they attempt to do so, you can sue for damages (plus the eviction is going to get denied). Of course you are free to negotiate with the landlord an agreement to end the lease early if they want you out, but that's up to you if you want to do so.

A landlord also cannot use "self help" to try and evict you -e.g., they can't cut your utilities or change the locks to get you to leave. A landlord who does so can be fined up to $100 per day and be responsible for damages to you.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You're very welcome! Would you be so kind as to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page and clicking submit, so I am credited for my time today? Thank you.