barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My tenant was given 6 weeks notice to move out building was

Customer Question

My tenant was given 6 weeks notice to move out building was sold it took her it took her 9 xtra days to move she was almost 3 months behind in rent. Agreed she would pay up. She got mad because of her security deposit I kept all but 98.00 for cleaning of property carpets cleaned water and garbage bill and the 9 days of extra rent . I feel she should be liable to pay this back rent ( This is what happens when you try to be a nice person) Please let me know if you think I have a leg to stand on
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This is rent owed to you while you were still the legal owner, correct?

.

Did you assign any rights to it to the new owner?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the rent was owed to me only
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you but I really can't afford all these fees

If you are talking about the phone call offer those are not generated by me, but rather by the JustAnswer website. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

.

If the rent was owed to you while you were the legal owner of the property, then it is still owed to you. The sale of the property doesn't affect that debt. So you are entirely able to file a small claims court case against the tenant, get a judgment, and then garnish any wages or levy on any bank accounts that they may have to collect the judgment.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you able to help me with paper work or follow thru with this or are you just here to give me advice

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. I am limited to only answering questions and providing legal information..

.

But all you have to do is go down to the local small claims court and they will have the summons and complaint forms you fill out and file. Then the clerks will help getting the sheriff to serve the tenant. Then you just show up on the court date and tell your story.

.

.

thanks