barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am currently a renter at a local Rv and Trailer park and I

Customer Question

Hello. I am currently a renter at a local Rv and Trailer park and I have lived there since July of this year and it has been one thing after another. It started with me signing my lease and the landlord promising to clean the trailer and change beds and after seven days of waiting and no returned calls I simply moved the bed myself and cleaned the whole place. Since then it has been a nightmare.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: It is a one year lease. Yes just in the past two weeks the water heater has leaked and been off, we have had no hot water for a week, there is immense mold and water damage, the power box outside friend and the power was out for two days, an electrician came and no one had talked to me of the issue. The key to one of the doors broke and they took two months to replace the lock and there is still one key between my patner and I. There is open sewage drains directly behind the trailer the reek and we have to hand drain our septic tank because no one will do it. that is literally just a few things.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have not reimbursed me for over two months for a fire extinguisher they claimed was unneccesary and I have tried contacting the managers boss who works in Newport Beach, Ca for assistance and have not every received a return call.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you contacted the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector or Health Dept regarding the conditions?

.

What is it that you would like to have happen here?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not contacted anyone besides the Rv park's manager's manager. I would like for things to be fixed to completion, including the mold being cleaned from the trailer, the entire park does seem to be out of code. I would like all of the problems fixed in a timely and not cut-corner way, I would like them to have to give 24hours notice before barging in, I would like to have more than one key to my home, I would like my money reimbursed when purchisng products they should have and I would like to know if I can demand money back or a rental discount sincr in the 4 months I have lived there I have had an issue every other week.

I apologize for the delay... had to step out of office for a bit..

.

Your fastest recourse is to contact the local Code Enforcement office or Health Dept about the open sewage as these are health hazards as well as code violations. They can cite the park owner for any violations and force them to make repairs. If they are bad enough then they may have to put you up in a hotel at their expense until repairs are made if the unit is deemed uninhabitable by the inspectors.

.

As for an extra key, that would be on you to pay to just have a duplicate made at a local hardware store for a couple dollars..

.

With regard to any retroactive reduction in rent, you would likely be entitled to one considering the conditions you have been forced to endure.. So take lots of photos of the conditions and then you can file a lawsuit in small claims court and seek damages in the form of a retroactive rent reduction. You are paying rent for a habitable decent dwelling that meets all local code and safety laws and you aren't getting that. A judge can award a nice judgment to set an example and deter future similar conduct.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks