insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

When I came home from work Friday evening I found a letter

Customer Question

When I came home from work Friday evening I found a letter shoved under my door from my landlord suggesting that I may not be adhering to some of the rules. The landlord listed some items that they think I may not be compliant. This was not true and I feel like they are accusing me of breaking rules which I am not. I am not sure how to respond to my landlord on this matter. The landlord has no interaction with the tenants so I am not sure how they can possibly know, For instance the list cites a possible noise violation but I do not even own a stereo or a TV nor do I play any musical instruments. I am a quiet 61 year old single parent and pay my rent on time for the past 10 years. When I do try to get a hold of the landlord I never reach them and they never return my calls I always seem to have to work through the building manager who is not a US citizen and has trouble with English.
I am not sure how to respond if I should respond at all.. It all appears to be conjecture.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. You really need take no action. The landlord cannot take any action against you without actually filing a petition with the court and you would get a notice of this hearing and would be able to attend that hearing. At that hearing, you would contest these allegations and the landlord's petition would then be dismissed and that would be the end of it. If you want to be proactive, which I might suggest just so it's on the record, I would respond in writing or email to the landlord contesting each and every allegation and let the landlord know that unless the landlord ceases and desists in any further pursuit of this, you will not only contest any action the landlord takes, but also file your own claim against the landlord for defamation.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!