Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in California. I am suing my landlord in unlimited

Customer Question

I live in California. I am suing my landlord in unlimited civil for a variety of things, but one of them is that he knew I had a medical alert on my PGE (Pacific Gas and Electric) account, and in retaliation for me telling him I did not want to put the utilities in his name, and I would have to check with an attorney to see if that was legal, he went behind my back and put the utilities in his name and never told me. The power went off, my Medical alert did not go off, and I could have died.After I figured out why I did not get an alert and told him, he again went behind my back and put a medical alert on the account, but this time he made the alert go off every hour to update me about when the power would be back on,. This was also in retaliation -- I have an alternate power source in my bedroom if the power ever goes off so I can safely sleep the rest of the night. The next time the power went off, I was awake all night long with the incessant medical reminders.Here's the thing. I cant change it -- only he can, because he put the PGE account in his name.. I sent his attorney and him a letter insisting that it be changed because I cannot change it. My letter has been ignored. Is there such thing as a "motion to compel" my landlord to fix this? I can also put this in my amended complaint, but I want it changed now. And yes, I am planning to move.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You would need to file Emergency Motion with the Court for an Order to force the Landlord to change the account as you have requested.

You can obtain blank Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I assume I can also get them on line? Is it called an Ex party motion? Thanks.

I was not able to find the blank Motion online.

Yes, Emergency Motion is all called "ex parte Motion" meaning hearing from only one party in the case, without prior notice to the other party in the case.