Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I had an old rent balance from last year and I paid it off

Customer Question

I had an old rent balance from last year and I paid it off this year through the collection agency that the complex referred it to so now it's zero balance and I have my letter paid in full from the collection agency but it's been 3 months and the former complex will not update their system to show zero balance what are my rights as a former tenant that this gets updated even with the letter as proof that is zero balance out for the collection agency they referred it to
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called the debt collection place and they have updated their system along with the letter to show zero balance I went to the old complex yesterday and the landlord told me we'll just keep the letter on hand?? On hand for what I applied to a complex here and they call and they denied me because of that and I showed them my letter and that's why I called the old complex as he they should update their system to show zero balance what are my rights
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. The complex denied you because of what, exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The new complex I place an application denied me because the old complex indicated I still had a remaining balance of over $1,100 which I paid in full through the collection agency they referred my account out for collections. I have my collection paid in full letter and they have updated their system to show zero balance . But the old complex still has me in the system with the balance and want update there system as zero balance
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 month ago.

Does the new place have access to the old complex's system? I'm not understanding what the issue is if the collections agency has you noted as having paid? What exactly did the new complex say to you?