Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

From March-August 6, 2016, I had been subleasing a room in

Customer Question

From March-August 6, 2016, I had been subleasing a room in Hawaii from a Texas business owner of a security company. I shared the 2 bedroom apartment with one of his employees here in Hawaii. I would pay the rent to his employee every month until June, where I had to send it via Walmart to Kentucky. And then Texas in July of 2016. He had become more difficult and inconvenience for me and had also been harassing me about making payments when he wanted it, how it was to be sent and to where. In July, he sent down a female employee, hoping that I would want to leave. This is because I had found out through the real property manager (landlord), that he was not to be subletting the apartment. I figured I paid for the month I am staying and so i did until he had flown in to Hawaii, and in the late night, broke into my room while I was sleeping, stripped me naked, assaulted me continuously and threw me out onto the streets at 11pm. The police here have done absolutely nothing. They did not arrest him for assault. Moreover, all my belongings when I had returned back to the apartment was gone. I filed a TRO and it was granted. He had falsely filed an eviction in the State of Hawaii, cause he never showed up to court for it.
I would like to seek some monetary damages for what I have gone through. Do I file a claim with the actual property manager for being assaulted on the premises? I would like to sue this man for assault and battery, theft, defamation, etc. What should I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 8 months ago.

I am very sorrry to hear this. On which island did this happen?

How long ago did this happen?