Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

WE ARE TELLING THE LANDLORD THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE 2 WEEKS

Customer Question

WE ARE TELLING THE LANDLORD THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE 2 WEEKS LATE AND WE ARE PRETTY SURE SHE WILL FILE THE PAPERS MY WIFE IS DISABLED AND HAS HARD TIME MOVING AROUND LET ALONE MOVING WE ARE IN OUR 60'S WHAT CAN WE DO??
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I FIX JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING SHE PAYS FOR THE PARTS
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: SHE'S DONE THIS BEFORE SHE LIVES IN ALBA. WE CALL HER TELL HER OUR PROBLEM SHE SAYS OK HANGS UP AND CALLS HER LAWYER
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

What is the lawyer saying?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we don't have a lawyer that's we talking to u
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I meant have you been contacted by her lawyer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, if you do not pay the rent when due the landlord does have a legal right to evict you and there is not much you can do to stop it.

You will get a 3 day notice to pay the rent before the landlord can file for a forcible detainer. If you file pay the rent owed then they can not evict you. So, what I tell clients is to find a way to somehow pay within that 3 day window. Once the 3 days pass then the landlord has no legal obligation to accept your payment and the eviction will proceed. So, wait for the 3 day notice and then beg or borrow to get the rent and you will be safe from eviction.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
o.k
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!