barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Tenant called landlord right after receiving a high water

Customer Question

Tenant called landlord right after receiving a high water bill stating there must be a leak. Landlord spoke w/water dept. regarding if possible leak, they checked for leaks around meter premises & stated landlord responsible for any other leaks happening on outside premises. I landlord contacted plumbing company same day & they came out & discovered a leak on a underground pipeline. Repairs done same day & paid for. Repair copy given to tenant to show prove of problem to water dept. Water dept. told tenant they would credit just sewer credit of $30.00, even though bill was for $268.00. Now tenant is requesting that landlord help pay for this bill. Is landlord responsible for any part of bill?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is landlord responsible for any part of bill?

.

Unfortunately yes, this is a maintenance issue where the landlord is liable for maintaining the plumbing so as to prevent any leaks.

.

So since the tenant was damaged due to the landlord's negligence, the landlord is liable to reimburse the tenant for anything over the tenant's normal usage costs.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks