Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I live in Maryland and pay my rent at the end of the month

Customer Question

Hi. I live in Maryland and pay my rent at the end of the month every month. Ive been at my apartment since june of this year and havent had any issues. Today I get a complaint for repossession of rented property letter stuck in my door. I never received a 30 day notice. Im not sure what the laws are but wasnt I suppose to get a 30 day notice? Im going to pay the rent due this month but the complaint has two months rent being requested. How should I handle this situation? I honestly want to move out because the complex is extremely anal and nosey. If I just move after paying octobers rent what happens?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the paper they stuck in the door
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

do you have a lease in place now?

awaiting your reply, so I can focus my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do. Do you want me to send it to you?

If you have a lease, LL cannot issue such notice unless the lease permits or if you have somehow breached the lease. In all events, if you agree to vacate or lease permits notice on 30 day notice, you can come to terms with LL on a mutually acceptable vacate date.

Reaching an agreement would avoid an eviction court proceeding and save both sides time and effort. You may even get some rent credit if you offer to leave voluntarily! Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Isnt paying rent late technically a breach of the lease?
but cured on payment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok last question. The lease provides a 5 day grace period for rent payments and my court date is on the 3rd. If I pay it now does that mean that they will have to file a new complaint since the 3rd is within that 5 day grace period stated on the lease?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just to be clear. once i pay octobers rent then the judge will dismiss this case even though they are asking for october and novembers rent?
If you become current it will get dismissed. For November they would need to refile but try to pay that timely to avoid that. Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.