Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am 73 senior, renting apartment for 14 years, parking

Customer Question

I am 73 senior, renting apartment for 14 years, parking space under the building was included and also a small storage space. Now, the house has a new owner. On 10/21 I have received a letter from a new management company, that from November 1, I have to add $100 for a parking, $100 for a storage, $500 pet deposit, because I rescued a cat, Renter's insurance with a pet's name, certificate if the cat vas neutered and vaccinated. The small apartment house has 11 units and is under the rent control. My social security is very low. I don't have 500 for a deposit and don't know what to write them not to get any trouble.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: It is California, Los Angeles, area code 90019.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I had 1 year the lease 14 years ago, I paid double security deposit of $1700. Since 2002 the rent is month-to month. I paid my rent all those years on time. Since we have a new owner, we have here a hell. Inspectors, plumbers, water was not for many days, she said she will not reduce the rent, then all roof was took down and she refuse to do any asbestos testing, every other day, we had some letters on the door. She said: There will be rules and who doesn't like it, can go.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need advice what to write them with my rent check. I filed a claim at the Housing department, also all other tenants did that. I need advice what to tell them, if I can't pay it now. Don't know my renter's rights.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

I need to confirm that the unit in under LA rent laws. Please go to

http://hcidla.lacity.org/RSO-Property-Search

and click on ZIMAS and let me know if the property is under the rent law.

When you wrote that you filed a claim wth the housing department, did you mean the rent board?

Did you get the cat before or after the new owners took over?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had a cat before the new owner got the house. I don't know what the rent board is. Their name is ***** ***** department.

Please follow the link above and click on ZIMAS to see if the unit is rent controlled.

If you tell me the street address I can look it up for you.