Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I want to give notice to a tenant to move out. What notice

Customer Question

Hi, I want to give notice to a tenant to move out. What notice to give? I am in California.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: it's condo unit in city of san jose CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: actually i am new owner of the condo. i just aquired the condo for about 1 week. the existing tenant is the seller's tenant. i decided not to rent to this tenant, so i want to ask the tenant to move out.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: actually the tenant agreed and is now finding a new place to move out... as it's thru verbally. So i want to give a notice to vacate to confirm.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is there a lease?

How long has the Tenant lived there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No lease. I am new owner of the condo. I just closed my escrow transaction last week. The existing tenant is actually the seller's (previous owner) tenant. I decided not to rent to the existing tenant, and I verbally told the tenant to find a place to move out. The existing tenant agreed and is now looking for a place to move. However, I still want to give a notice to confirm to vacate.

Thank you for the information. However, I still need to know how long the Tenant has been living there because it is legally significant.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 4 years with the previous owner

Thank you for the information.

By law, you are required to give the Tenant a 60-day written notice if the Tenant has lived there for one year or more. Click on the link below for sample notice. Click on the one that says Superior Court.

Sample Notice to Quit