Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

What can I do my landlord say that I owe him rent from 3

Customer Question

What can I do my landlord say that I owe him rent from 3 month back but I paid him but lost my receipt so I ask him to show me his record of that so he told me to pay the amount and he will give me time to move or he will evict me doesn't he have to show the court proof rhat I owe him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

In court, your landlord has the burden of proving that you agreed to pay rent, which can be done via a copy of the lease or oral testimony that you're living there if there isn't a lease. If he is willing to commit perjury by claiming that you didn't pay him when you did - and if the judge believes him - then the burden shifts to you to prove that you paid. Which means you need to find those receipts it if is remotely within your power to do so, unless there happened to be a third party present when you handed over the money.

If you paid by check, you can get a copy of the check from your bank. But the only way to prove cash payments is through a receipt or a witness. If the judge can't figure out who is telling the truth between you and the landlord, since you're the one who has to prove payment, the landlord will win. I hope you can find the evidence you need.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?