Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 1 month ago.

Could you please explain your situation a little more fully? What kind of legal information would you like? In what state is this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
like I said my tenant was smoking marijuana in the room he was renting. I was told he was smoking marijuana by my other tenant. He left. While steam cleaning the room I found the smell of marijuana. It was unbearable so I got it professionally cleaned. That costed 326dollars. The deposit was 575. what do I do?

In what state?

And have you returned the deposit yet? When did the tenant move out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He moved out on 31 of Sept 2016. he has no forwarding address!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
State of Colorado
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to return his deposit?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are u still there?

Give me a moment...

Under Colorado law, a landlord must return the tenant's security deposit within one month, unless the lease agreement specifies a longer period of time (which may be no more than 60 days). You can deduct repair expenses. Prepare an itemized list of deductions for cleaning, repairs, back rent, or other financial obligations required under your lease or rental agreement. List the item (such as repainting living room wall or five days unpaid rent) and the dollar amount of the deduction. Regarding repairs and damage repair, attach receipts (if you’ve already had the work done) or provide a reasonable cost estimate. Return what is still owed of the deposit, along with the itemization of expenses that reduced his deposit. If you cannot find him to return the deposit to him, you can send it to the apartment he rented in the hopes that he is forwarding his mail. That will also prove that you acted in good faith, if he did not forward his mail. Do you have any other questions?