RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My son is currently a student at UCLA and him and three

Customer Question

My son is currently a student at UCLA and him and three other students moved into an apartment off campus. A 2bd, 2ba for $3400. They are wanting to add another student to the lease (which there is plenty big enough) however, the landlord wants to increase the rent by $700-$1000. Is this legal??
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Los Angeles, CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I'm not sure of the exact terms. I have asked them to send me a copy of the lease. They have only been there since September.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

It depends on the terms of the lease, but most likely yes, it is legal. If it's written as a 2 bedroom/2 bath for 4 people and doesn't specially say that they can allow another person on the lease, then in order to do so, they would have to enter into a new lease (or an amended lease) with the landlord to update it. Consider that another person living in the home creates more wear and tear -so from a landlord perspective, charging more rent is the right course of action (although I'm flabbergasted at how much the rent is out there!).

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Give me one minute to look at something I found from the City of Los Angeles.

Thank you again for your patience -- the City of Los Angeles has a special regulation for how much rent may be increased when adding an additional roommate, but it only applies to those properties under the RSO (Rent Stabilization Ordinance) which is homes built before November 1, 1978. I wasn't sure if this applies to your grandson's residence or not. If so, the landlord may only increase the rent by a maximum of 10%, and only after giving 30 days notice.