philip.simmons
philip.simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience in the law
11181181

My landlord has not provided a copy of the signed lease

Customer Question

my landlord has not provided a copy of the signed lease agreement. I signed it July 15, 2016. I have asked over 10 times for my copy. They continue to refuse to give it to me. what are my options? I am considering breaking my lease and I do not have a copy of the lease to review the terms.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA, Los Angeles.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Good Question. If i had a copy of the lease, I could answer that. The roaches and ants are overrunning the apartment. They will not schedule pest control even though I have requested many times.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also, the manager does not respond to my calls or emails. She may get back to me once per week with unkept promises.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean by "options"? Are you asking if you can force the landlord to provide a copy of the lease?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to know my lease terms so that I can review the rules of the lease. Isn't the manager or landlord required to give me a copy of the lease within 15 days of signing? What if they don't? Is that grounds for breaking the lease without recourse?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you simply answer this question without a phone call and extra fee?

Sorry for the delay...computer crashed.

Just a moment and I will type up an answer.

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news.

There is no law that would require the landlord to provide you a copy of the lease at this point. At the time the lease was negotiated and signed, you could have demanded a copy...but at this point, since the lease was signed some time ago, there is not a law you can invoke to force the landlord to supply you a copy

Now...if this landed in court (say, for example, the landlord claims you breached one of the lease terms), part of the judicial process would allow you "discovery"....you would be entitled to a copy of the lease at that point But not before.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can force the landlord to provide you a copy now but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil