Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I lived in an apartment complex and my lease ended june 31

Customer Question

I lived in an apartment complex and my lease ended june 31 of 2015. September of 2016 i recieved an email from the complex claiming that i have a balance due. They say a check was returned but have no information about the payment besides the amount. My roommate and i have both disgarded our bills and receipts due to the time passed. almost 18 months. When i asked the complex to verify my forwarding address it is all current and correct. they claim they made attempts to send letters in the mail and that they were returned to sender. My forwarding address is my parents home, which they have owned for over 10 years and my mail would have no reason to be returned to sender. The apartment complex has not been helpful or polite by any means and when i was asking for information, never refusing to pay only trying to connect dots, she made a polite coy remark about " we would hate to have to take legal action over $200"
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I feel this was extremely unprofessional,
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Bryan Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't have the lease agreement anymore. I know we moved out a month early due to poor maintenance and we gave them permanant addresses for forwarding, our phone numbers, address and email have been the same. This is the first contacty they have made to either of us. my roommate was my little sister so i am obviously close with her as well and she has recieved no notices.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

So to be clear, the fee is for a late fee, for an unknown check (ie no check specified)? Also, did one receive an itemized deduction list for the deposit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said that a final payment was attempted to be made with an e-check and it was returned insufficiant. they could not verify the checknumber, account number, name on the account, the date it was attempted to be withdrawn.
the thing that baffles me is that it has been almost a year and a half since we left and they are just now calling. and making threats.
i at no time was attempting not to pay. just trying to get info from her.
she could not explain or breakdown the fees to me. she was also telling me that i had a final water bill of over $50 for the month the apartment was vacant and we didnt even use that much water when we lived there and it feels a little fishy.
they have no records or valid information for me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i can not afford a phone call & i am at work..