MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I left the shower on in my place and it flooded. land lord

Customer Question

I left the shower on in my place and it flooded. land lord said my tub over flowed, but it did not. I told him some thing was wrong with the pipes. he didn't believe me. so I let the shower go for 15 min, and it happened again. He sent a plumber to look at it and the pipe to the tub. It was bad. They had to rip up my carpet, and now they are charging me 1,000 dollars. The living room is 12 x 15 feet. The damage was due to the bad pipe. They said to bad and I have to pay it regardless. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The only thing you can really do is not pay and defend yourself in the event that the landlord sues you in small claims court for the $1,000 he claims you owe. You will need to review you lease to make sure that you are not actually responsible for payment of the damages under the lease.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my lease says if the damage is due to the tenant then then the tenant pays, but it is due to their pipes not my negligence. If it goes to court do I stand a chance? And my land lord is also a lawyer.

I can't tell you if you do or don't because it all depends on whether the damage was your fault or not (which I would need to probably be a plumber or general contractor and inspect the property to tell you).