LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

My mother just moved into an condo and once we moved

Customer Question

Hi, my mother just moved into an condo and once we moved everything in we notice there was a strong smell. I called the landlord to find out did the apartment have mildew mole and she stated nothing is wrong with the apartment and refused to check into it. My mother called a contractor to come and check it out, he pulled back the carpet and stated that the floor and carpet is mildew/mold and needed to be treated and replace the carpet. The landlord was notified of this and refuse to do anything about so she stated that she will just give my mother her money back. This puts my mom in a bad situation because she now has no where to go. She's on fixed income and it's a hardship on her. Could you advise on what to do. Could we somehow make the landlord fix the problem?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: the lease is for 12 months and she haven't been able to sleep in there since the 15th of this month.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I think that's pretty much it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you. The landlord has a legal obligation to make sure the rental is habitable. If she allowed your mother access to the rental and to take possession and there are issues, she needs to correct them. If it very possible that she was aware and simply hoped your mom did not notice and if the smell was that strong, there is evidence to possible support that claim. If she refuses and now your mom has to vacate, then she could sue her for the damages suffered, as a result of the landlord failure to fix this and forcing her to move, for health reasons

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thanks what are your suggestion regarding this situation?

Demand that the landlord replace the carpeting. If she refuses, advise that you will sue for money paid and all additional costs incurred in moving and finding another place to live and any difference in rent.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.