Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My husband was recovering from a terrible illness that left

Customer Question

My husband was recovering from a terrible illness that left us both shell-shocked and broke. I rented a tiny apartment based on his physical condition at the time. Once we moved in the terrible ordeal we had been through for the past 12 months began to manifest itself in night terrors and bouts of severe depression. The condo assoc I rent from has a strict no pets, nothing alive including potted plants). I spoke with a psychiatrist who stated I qualify for an emotional support pet. I explained to my landlord that my husband has made a recovery that is nothing short of miraculous (I have medical paperwork to bear that out). He is actually able to leave his hospital bed and join the marital bed if there is room for his oxygen equipment. There is not in this apartment. I asked him if he would consider allowing us to break the lease out of compassion. This is still season and the unit would rent quickly. He has told me I can break the lease for $4500 and that I should not get an emotional therapy pet. That I can either pay him $4500 or rent the unit for 2 years and find another way to cope with my disability. He has demanded (loudly and aggressively in front of a bank officer) that I pay him not the $1100 a month rent, but $$2000 a month so that his $4500 is paid in five months. I offered to have a legal document drawn up and make arrangements with the bank to pay him his $4500 penalty but he has refused. Am I stuck with his demand of $2000 a month and vacate in 5 months and deny my disability or can I vacate the lease now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

Do you just want to breach the lease?

.

Are you still interested in getting an emotional support animal (ESA)?

.

.

thanks