Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I submitted an application for a rental unit in Chicago. The

Customer Question

I submitted an application for a rental unit in Chicago. The leassor accepts co signers. While I have an excellent employment track record of 38 years:
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: 1. I'm not now working as I was recovering from an illness. 2. I'm searching for a new job and this fact was made available to leasor. I have 38-year pre, post college employment history. Co signer is working and income for rent has been verified. can owner refuse to rent to me because I do not presently have a job but I was off due to an illness and work related references were provided.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: im 99.999% positive the condo owner is discriminating in housing. my dad is my co signer and we have two full years as reference of he signed the lease and pays rent and I occupy condo.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only reason my job search is stalled is due to needing to find a new apartment by November 1. The owner denied my application specifically siding that the reason was because I wasn't working It's asking for $34
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, the site does charge a fee, which is why it is asking for money. Please let me know if you would like to proceed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lease is A standard landlord tenant lease lasting 12 months with no unusual requirements by the tenant except the tenant pays all utilities except the heat or the landlord pays the heat
Basic Chicago lease.
we have not even gotten to the lease part yet. all we are at right now is the intermediary, which is the apartment people, has taken all my information and my father's information and everything is fine except the fact the owner wants me to be working which is I think it's not his business.
We paid first month rent. My dad, as co signer, submitted income verification in the form of his 2016 quarterly taxes. We both completed applications. We passed income hurdle. My dad owns apartments and along with rental income and pension, his income is approx $125,000. Lease is $1350 per month.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I paid $34
Pls answer

Thank you. Please allow me a moment.

It is illegal for landlords to discriminate against people because of:

• Race
  • Color
  • National Origin
  • Citizenship status
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Sexual orientation (including gender-related identity)
  • Age (40 and over)
  • Disability
  • Pregnancy
  • Marital or Familial Status (having children)
  • An order of protection
  • Unfavorable military discharge
  • Arrest record

Based upon what you shared above, if their decision to not rent to you, is a result of you being unemployed at the time, they can make that decision. Based upon the numbers your shared above, it would appear as though your father should not have any issue paying the rent based upon his income but if they want you, as the tenant and signor to be employed, there is nothing wrong with requiring that. It would not be discriminatory in nature.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!