barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My landlord won't renew my lease after giving me renewal

Customer Question

My landlord won't renew my lease after giving me renewal offer its retaliation for reporting to the city for standing water throughout the complex Also do to me verbably saying I will post my experiences on the internet
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Dallas Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: by the landlord?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the landlord is taking negative action with regard to your tenancy after you have exercised your legal rights, then that is considered illegal retaliation under Tex. Prop. Code § 92-331.

.

So if the landlord tries to evict you, you can defend based on this law and TX law also allows you to sue for damages:

.

Texas Property Code § 92.333

In addition to other remedies provided by law, if a landlord retaliates against a tenant under this subchapter, the tenant may recover from the landlord a civil penalty of one month's rent plus $500, actual damages, court costs, and reasonable attorney's fees in an action for recovery of property damages, moving costs, actual expenses, civil penalties, or declaratory or injunctive relief, less any delinquent rents or other sums for which the tenant is liable to the landlord.

.

.

thanks