Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am currently a tenant in Chicago with a 2-year lease

Customer Question

I am currently a tenant in Chicago with a 2-year lease agreement. I have lived in my unit for 3mo and the building has no sound insulation whatsoever. I am not able to sleep at night, pictures have fallen off my walls due to people just walking around upstairs. It is not a matter of other tenants being intentionally too loud, the building itself is not insulated whatsoever. There is also a problem with the plumbing that causes an extremely loud knocking in my walls that radiate throughout the unit at random times, including the middle of the night. The building I live in has 3 units and I am in the middle. All of the units are managed by different companies so my management company is not able to get hands-on when it comes to rectifying this issue, and it is a big contributor to my complaint.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Chicago, IL
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: See above...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No... All noted
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How have they responded when you addressed these issues with them?