LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.

A tenant rented out my garage and left his car there. It has

Customer Question

A tenant rented out my garage and left his car there. It has been over 3 years since I last saw the tenant. Can I get rid of the car. I am located in Queens NY
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 8 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

So the vehicle has been sitting for 3 years? Have you tried contacting them to remove and retrieve it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He went to jail for 5 years drug related. No have not tried to contact

In a situation like this, you can not be expected to simply store the vehicle for him, without getting paid for the usage of the garage. Moreover, if he is in jail, then he should have given someone POA of his affairs and allowed them to retrieve the vehicle. Based upon the fact that it has still remained and you want it removed and he has another 2 years in jail, your best option is likely to be to have it towed off your property. I have also provided a link, from NY, that advises on how to handle abandoned and unclaimed vehicles.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No legal ramifictions having it towed

There should not be any. It is not as if you are taking possession of it, selling it or doing something with it, other then having it removed from your property, after 3 years. At that point, they will send him any required notice and/or you can do the same, to his last known address, advising that the vehicle has been towed and being held

Why have you wait all this time, if you do not mind me asking?

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.