Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.

In Texas at 17, student signed a lease agreement - parents

Customer Question

in Texas at 17, student signed a lease agreement - parents not listed as co-signer on lease agreement, only a separate Guarantor for the application - is the minor bound to provisions of the lease since signed at 17?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 9 days ago.

At 17 the "tenant" is a minor and the lease can be repudiated by the minor until they are 18.

So, if they turn 18 during the tenancy and do not repudiate the contract then it will be enforceable.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
therefore, if they have paid rent and since turned 18, they are stuck, thus unable to get out of the lease except for military service and family violence.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 days ago.

Yes, once they turn 18, and have failed to repudiate, the contract is ratified.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 days ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!