Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

After I sent my tenant, notices that he is behind on rent,

Customer Question

after I sent my tenant, notices that he is behind on rent, he sent me an email that I am responsible for his kid's hospital bill from 4 months ago and he is going to take court action. What do I need to do? Do I need to respond to him and if so, what should I write?
Thank you
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Why is he claiming you're responsible for these bills? What state are you in?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Pennsylvania. Unfortunately the tenant lies so much that I can't tell for sure. The fact that he is bringing it up now, after I asked him to leave (he is almost 2 months behind on rent) is suspicious.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 days ago.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, there is no way to evaluate his claim unless he tells you why he thinks you owe him money. That leaves you with a couple of options.

1. Write back and ask what on earth he's talking about. Request medical bills and other documentation that support his claim.
  2. Do nothing at all and wait to see if he sues. The Complaint will have to explain why he's suing you, and then you'll know.
  3. Continue with the eviction and wait to see if he files a separate lawsuit. As long as he IS behind on rent, your lawsuit would not be considered retaliation for his letter.

Legally, you'd only be responsible for his child's medical bills if you allowed some dangerous condition to exist on the property, after being notified of it, and that's what made the child sick. But since you have no idea what the tenant is talking about, it suggests you don't have the type of knowledge required for a court of law to hold you responsible.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When he rented the place, the place was not cleaned and the construction trash was still in the house. That's why his kid got stang by an insect and hospitalized. I had no interest in renting him the place, but as he saw so many people interested and he mentioned that he wants to make sure I don't rent it to someone else he said he will rent it before it is ready. In the contract I stated:"Tenant wants to move into the rental on xxxx, 2016. Landlord has explained to the tenant that the
house needs work, but the tenant still wants to move in and is willing to let contractors in to finish the
work. Tenants will clean the house, wherever is needed"Should I respond by stating that he is blaming me for his kids hospitalization after I told him to pay his due or leave and what he is doing is...?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

If you actually were responsible for his child's injury, even though the timing is suspicious, it wouldn't be illegal. However, you're not liable for the fact that his child was stung by an insect. That's not within your control.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 days ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?