barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

How do I evict a term resident in Florida? He has stolen,

Customer Question

How do I evict a long term resident in Florida? He has stolen, destroyed property, abused me & forged my name on checks
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: police reports for domestic violence only. they usually incarcerate me for scratching him to get away
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are they under a fixed term written lease or are they month to month?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is my former fiancee and business partner (the personal relationship has been over for quite a while). He was disabled in an auto accident on 2-13-2015. He contributes nothing and if he is not satisfied with the money I give to him he steals credit cards, pays his bills with my credit cards or forges checks. I have a life estate in the home, which is owned by a trust set up for my benefit. I have no formal agreement with him. He has lived here for several years and receives mail here. Since the accident he has become abusive ~permanently redamaging my neck on several occasions. I am currently suffering from post concussive syndrome & had to cut my waist length hair off about 3" from my scalp due to his attacks. He also broke my finger and "booby-trapped" my bedroom door with a 4 panel room divider which hit me right between my eyes and resulted in a painful scar. When police have come I am blamed for everything because my only defense is to scratch him - which is visible, whereas the sprains, painful beatings & concussion are not.

Ok, if you have a life estate, then you are the landlord and you can terminate his tenancy with a written 15 day notice. Then if he won't leave, once that period expires, you can file a formal eviction action in court and get a judgment and a writ against him that the sheriff would execute to force him to leave.

.

That takes about 3-4 weeks after the 15 day notice expires, but he has no defense to the eviction, so it is just a matter of giving him the 15 day and then filing the formal eviction action in court to get him out..

.

.

thanks