Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US

I just rented an apartment two weeks ago...I paid the

Customer Question

I just rented an apartment two weeks ago...I paid the deposit and first months rent. Today I'm at work and apparently someone came into my home with a locksmith unannounced and changes my locks locking me out and everything I own inside. I can't get a hold of the person who rented to me and I can't get a hold of the person who locked me out and have no money to stay anywhere because I had put it all into my new home. What are my rights...I am devastated and at a loss of what to do.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is Richard and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

I suggest you contact a the police and tell them what occurred and that you will be getting a locksmith to break the lock and reinstall a new lock. If you can download a copy of the check you used to pay the initial deposit and rent. That will be the best evidence that you are the rightful tenant in the absence of a copy of the lease which I assume is in the apartment. Once you get in you can get things straightened out later with the landlord. I also suggest you tell him you will be deducting your costs from the next rent payment.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.