LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

Many renters have lived in our complex for years. The PLACE

Customer Question

Many renters have lived in our complex for years. The PLACE WAS JUST BOUGHT OUT and the new owners want to raise the rent 15% in Jan and 15% in Apr then 15% in July( 2017) - Is 45% IN ONE YEAR legal?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: cALIFORNJIA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No - They have everyone on a month to month but most have been living there for 10 - 20 years - I have any been living there for 5
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think the place is all that GREAT. IPAID $1395 going in and the Walls were a mess (scratches everywhere) the carpet was a mess. There is no air conditioning. No jacuzzi or barbecue - The plumbing is horrible and the kitchens are sub par. I'm paying $1800 currently so A 45% INCREASE after July is $2610 - Are you kidding me? HELP!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

Unless you are living in a rent controlled city---which you clearly are not--CA law has no law preventing an owner/landlord from increasing the rent any time they want and as much as they want. The only thing that they may not do legally is increase rent in the middle of a lease term unless the written lease agreement specifically allows for that rent increase. Your option is to vote with your feet and walk away from the rental, or pay the exorbitant increases demanded. The choice is entirely yours.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug