Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

In the event that a tenant is not on a rental agreement only

Customer Question

in the event that a tenant is not on a rental agreement only a verbal understanding, they be evicted and or asked to collect their belongings in a reasonable time
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: new mexico taos county
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: their was no lease and the residence was left in filth and not clean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A tenant who is on a verbal lease falls under a verbal tenancy. This means that the landlord has to give them the same amount of NOTICE in writing that the lease is terminated as the amount of days between rent payments. NM Statutes Secs. 47-8-33; 47-8-37. In other words, if they pay every 7 days, then they are given a 7 day notice. If they do not leave within those 7 days, they can be evicted.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!