CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I'm living in an apartment 11 working heater out of three

Customer Question

hi I'm living in an apartment 11 working heater out of three one electrical outlet in my room out of Ford that operates correctly and black mold in my bedroom for the last 3 1/2 months I have not paid my rent for this month or last month do I have the right to do thatI requested it countless times for them to come in and make repairs which they have not since the time of my move in
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

What you describe (lack of sufficient heating) is a "habitability" defect in your rental property.

Your rights as a tenant for habitability defects vary widely by state. To determine your specific rights for your state, see this link: http://www.landlord.com/state-habitability-statutes-by-state.htm it provides a good summary of the law for each state, gives you the proper statutory authority, and usually will have a link or resource to additional help for tenants.