Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Second opinion] - I am a tenant in a housing development and

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hello I am a tenant in a housing development and have been informed that I have 90 days to move out with the move out date being nov.2 2016. I signed a years lease in april and was set to be here until 4/2017. the house was in foreclosure and a temporary owner had me sign a lease for a year. I payed first last and security and payed rent until july, 2016. I had no idea the house was still in foreclosure and the new owner((bank)) informed me that I had until nov 2 2016 to move out. I tried to see if documents had been filed for eviction so far I have not received anything from the courts, but I did receive a letter from the attorney for the new owner stating I had to be out bu nov.2016. I have been trying to relocate but its unlikely I will find anything by nov.2. what are my rights, what should I do? how can I find out if an eviction has been filed in the courts
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What state are you in? What do you mean when you say the temporary owner had you sign the lease when the house was in foreclosure?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im in florida. the house has been in foreclosure for a while. I was unaware. by the end of the year(2015) a lot of legal activities were in place. one bidder obtained the house in april,2016 and came to the house a gave a new contract to sign. I paid rent every month until august when paper work was sent to the house that explain the so called landlord did not own this house.

Did the bank claim that you had been paying the rent to the wrong person and your lease was not valid?