Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

I have a renter who owes me for one month's rent dating back

Customer Question

I have a renter who owes me for one month's rent dating back to May, 2015. A late fee is charged if the rental payment is not received by the 5th of the month. That fee is five (5%) of the rental payment, which is included in the rental agreement. Can I charge a late fee for the payment that has not been received since May, 2015? If so, how much and how is that charge determined?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes. If the contract allows for a late fee and provides a formula for it, then that rent fee may be enforced. So if the contract does allow for the late fee, it may be tagged on to the later rent. The charge is determined going off the formula the contract provides - herein - 5% as you said so yourself.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.