legalgems, attorney
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I have never been late on rent and my lease does not end

Customer Question

I have never been late on rent and my lease does not end until May 2017. Can my landlord put me out of my apartment for renovations then raise my rent? I live in Richmond VA
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 19 days ago.

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

A lease is a binding contract and both sides are obligated to comply with the terms of the lease. The monthly amount, as stated in the lease, is the monthly amount that is to be charged. One party cannot arbitrarily change that amount (imagine if the tenant told the landlord they were paying $100 a month less from now on). Additionally, every lease gives the tenant the right to occupy the unit-this right cannot be taken away without liability.

Every lease has an implied covenant of habitability, so the landlord cannot engage in conduct that disturbs this right (such as extensive renovations).

The tenant can sue for damages suffered- such as expenses incurred during the remodeling during the constructive eviction.

Sometimes the landlord will attempt to take advantage of the tenants, because many tenants do not know their rights. Either the tenant, or their lawyer, can write a letter, attaching a copy of the lease, and highlighting the monthly rent, stating that is the obligation and it cannot be unilaterally changed.

Below are some resources, including a program that helps write letters to landlords for various issues:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 14 days ago.

Hi. Just checking in to see how the above situation worked out. Hoping the information was useful. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have sent a certified letter stating that I would not like to vacate my apartment nor forfeit my current lease rate. I have not recieved a response in a week. What are some of the actions I should consider?
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 days ago.

Would you mind rating out the initial question (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) and then posting the new question in a new page? As an individual contributor to the site I must comply with the site rules regarding one topic per page.