Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I got an eviction notice on my door saying i owe 9,900

Customer Question

I got an eviction notice on my door saying i owe 9,900 dollars. I owe 1,900. but landlord asked if we were going to answer to eviction notice and if we do he will go after my husbands wages and go after 25,000. not sure if I should answer or not? I plan on moving out in a month, how long do evictions normally take?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If the notice contains the wrong amount, you should respond in writing and reject the notice.

The creditor can only pursue you, not your spouse. Evictions can take 6-8 weeks. Practically, it is often best to work out a payment plan for the agreed amount and avoid cost and time of eviction process. Kindly rate me 5 stars, tried to expedite your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My landlord said he could only go back 1 yr for unpaid rent so he forwarded balances from previous yr but the dates he wrote on the 3 day pay or quit is what I am going by and I total up 1900. landlord does not want to work with us he wants us out and has said repeatedly he would not go after us for the money if we just move out but I cannot move out for a month. if evictions take 6- 8 weeks then I think I can be out before that day so wondering if I should just not answer the eviction notice and move out before court date.

You want to show up for any court date and at that time the court will help by often working out a departure date acceptable to you and payment terms on the rent.

Good luck. Kindly rate me positively.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I do not reply to eviction notice, will I still be able to get my side heard in court

Yes, but if you get a petition in court, I suggest filing an answer.

The notice precedes a formal petition/complaint.

Please confirm the answer is acceptable.

tried to expedite.

Thanks in advance.