AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I CURRENTLY OCCUPYING AN APARTMENT IN BLOOMINGTON MN, I'VE

Customer Question

HELLO MY NAME IS***** AN APARTMENT IN BLOOMINGTON MN, I'VE BEEN A RESIDENT SINCE AUGUST 2015.THE MANAGEMENT IS TERRIBLE WITH MAINTENANCE REQUEST, EXTREMELY NEGLIGENT AS A RESULT OF THERE NEGLIGENCE MY 6ft 2 PAYNE METAL CLOSET DOOR FELL ON ME. UPON SENDING PHOTOS OF THE SCENE THE LANDLORD DIDN'T RESPOND FOR A WEEK.SO I HAD TO EVENTUALLY GO TO E.R AS WELL AS THE CLOSET FALLING BREAKING MY BELONGINGS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Just a moment as I type your response...

The landlord has obligations to keep the apartment up to code. The landlord also has the responsibility to respond to maintenance requests in a reasonable time, and definitely in the time stated in your lease contract (if it has a time specified in the lease).

If the closet door fell as a result of the landlord's negligence, then he is responsible to pay for your damages, which would include at a minimum, your hospital bills and damaged property. I'm not sure what led the closet door to fall, but especially if you contacted him and let him know of a dangerous situation such as bolts coming loose and the imminent situation of the door falling, then as long as you were not also at fault, you should have a good claim against him. Your first step would be to write up what the facts are, such as on ___ date, I emailed you and sent you the photo stating the closet door was falling off. On __ date, the door fell on me and I had to call 911 and went to the hospital with a broken leg. . . etc. Enclose copies of your bills and estimates for replacing the property and demand that he pay.

Does that make sense?