LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.

Can the property manager inspect your apartment for dust or

Customer Question

can the property manager inspect your apartment for dust or for boxes you have no room to empty & terminate your lease based on that or a few marks on the wall and order you to pain, rple your own smoke alarms or pay for bulbs that blow out.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon Rebecca,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A landlord may be able to inspect your unit on occasion and upon giving your reasonable advanced notice, however, a landlord cannot demand that you not have boxes in your unit, nor can they terminate your lease because of dust, marks on the wall or boxes in your rental unit.

You are responsible to replace burned out light-bulbs that burn out during your lease---but you cannot be forced to replace them while your lease is active. You are not required to buy your own smoke alarms, but if the unit has them---as it should, and the batter wears out you are responsible for putting a new battery in the unit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,