Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I live in a home cohabitatingwith my partner for nine years.

Customer Question

I live in a home cohabitatingwith my partner for nine years. She has just decided she doesn't want me living there anymore. What are my rights ? Technically she owns the home but I have invested several thousands of dollars to renovate these homes in the past nine years. How can she throw me out and how can I recoup money that put in.
Thanks
Colleen
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Is there anything in writing to evidence the money you invested and an agreement to repay you? Also, what State is this in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Massachusetts . Yes I have checks to builders etc. There was no agreement for repayment as we thought we were going to be together. We do however own a condo in treasure island florida together as well. I sold her a piece of property under its value so we could build house.

She can not just throw you out. That is your residence and that is where you reside, so if she wants you out, she would first need to provide you with at least a 30 day notice to vacate. Then, if you fail to vacate, she would need to proceed through the court to evict you, to have you removed. Now, as far as your contributions and money invested, you would need to sue her to recover. You would need to show that there was an agreement to repay you if you did not stay together and this was not something you did voluntarily. Situations like this one does happen, which is always tricky when there is nothing in writing, to show any agreement, in the event that you break up. A court may see this as a form of rent and/or voluntary contribution as a result of living there.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.