Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I have lived in the same apartment complex for 10 years.

Customer Question

I have lived in the same apartment complex for 10 years. From day one, our dishwasher hasn't worked and they said they would order one and the master bedroom shower doesn't work properly and they said 10 years ago that they would repair it soon. They still haven't. Our carpet is rotted and the paint in our apartment is peeling/sweating. The insulation in this apartment doesn't keep cold air in or warm air in the winter. We didn't even use our a/c this summer because we couldn't get the temperature under 80 degrees. 78 on a cooler day. I put in 13 maintenance requests on Aug. 29th and they still haven't sent a maintenance man to check on a single one of them. I was told by one of the staff that several people who work in the office resent/hate me and this is one reason why they are not doing any of the maintenance. I am a disabled 55 year old Navy veteran and raising a bright 11 year old son and single. We live on less than 1,000 dollars a month of which %75 goes to this complex for rent and water. Not only this but the office staff named Luis moved in the apartment under mine (I'm on the 3rd floor) several months ago. He is a drunk, sad, gay young man but tends to harass me or invade my privacy. i.e. - He spends time on his balcony sometimes until 1 or 2 a.m. while singing OUT LOUD to Celine Dion or whoever. Woke us all up at a.m. one Sunday morning drunk out of his head and jammed his stereo. Of course I called the police after he didn't answer the door or even acknowledge my presence when I went down to the first floor back yard to ask him to turn it down. Anyway, we had a talk and agreed to get along. I got him into trouble with his boss and went back, told her I overeacted and got him out of trouble again. Then 3 weeks ago or so, he came up to my apt. obviously stoned drunk and asked if we could talk. I said sure but I only have 15 minutes because I have a Dr. appt. I needed to get to. He came in we sat on my balcony and all he did was tell me how the staff hated me and they were sitting on my maintenance requests. Then he started trying to rub my leg. I took his hand off my leg and told him not to do that again. I came inside and told him I have to leave shortly. He sat down on my couch saying he was dizzy. Then he fell over onto my coffee table and spilling his glass of wine onto my remote of which I had to go to TWC and get a new one. I asked him if he was okay, he said yes. I gathered my keys and wallet and paperwork, went over to help him up and out and he buck naked. Had stripped off all his clothes. I told him he'd better get his shorts on right away because he was indecent and I had to go. Not only that, my sons school bus was about to pull up at anytime. That would've been weird for him to Luis buck naked in our living room. Then I flagged down the maintenance man who was taking the manager around the complex to do apt. inspections and told him their employee was drunk and naked in my apartment and I had to go to a Dr. appointment immediately. Several of the maintenance men covered him up, picked him up, (he couldn't walk!) and helped down stairs. I was back home in half an hour and noticed his car was gone. He had gone somewhere drunk as a skunk. Anyway, I forgave him and told the manager I didn't want to complain but he needed help with his drinking problem for sure. Two Saturdays ago, he comes upstairs, my front door is always open for a breeze and he and his dog just walk right into my apartment. I was washing dishes and intercepted him in the dining room and informed him he shouldn't walk into peoples apartments without permission because I could've hurt him really bad or worse. He was wearing a beanie cap and I'd never seen him wearing one. So he apologized and asked me if I could help him get his new drone out of a tree behind bldg. 11 (two buildings down) so I grabbed a chair, borrowed a long pole and got it out for him. Meanwhile his dog, Poncho runs off. So then
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I sent in a thousand word complaint just a few moments ago.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Antonio, TEXAS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All of the maintenance requests have been reported. All of the happenings with the office staff have been reported to the Apartment Manager. He's still there of course.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. But I feel I'm not only being ignored or retaliated against but also being discriminated against as well as disrespected.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I have a case for small claims court for discrimination, disrespect, inconveniences, frustrations, staff sexual misconduct/unlawfully entering my abode. Did you not get the full message Sir?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told I could get free advice regarding small claims court, obviously I've been duped. Have a good day.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Is my understanding correct that you discussed your issues with small claims court and they did not tell you whether you could file a suit based on your complaints? I also want to be clear that you understand that this is a pay site and not a free site? Your account on this site does not get charged unless you are satisfied with the answer.