Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

That the landlord knew had 3 major problems and moved me in

Customer Question

that the landlord knew had 3 major problems and moved me in anyway after leasing the apt i had on hold out from underneath me. I have a blocked water line from chiller unit causing massive water leak and mold issues. the dryer plug outlets shoots sparks and blew up my dryer. Ive sent numerous requests and work orders. Still they wont fix it. Im paying to do laundry every night to clean up nasty smelly water from leak. what can i do
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: texas
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: yes they must maintain safe livable place
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i paid for laundry and paid for appliance man to check my dryer out because maintenance accused me of it being my dryer
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 17 days ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you have given the Landlord written notice of the repairs( or if the Landlord is already aware of the issues) and the Landlord has failed to make the repairs, you can make the repairs and deduct the costs from your rent. You may also file lawsuit against your Landlord at the your Justice of Peace Courts to force the Landlord to make the repairs. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. See Texas Property Code Title 8 Chapter 92 Sections 92.056 and 92.0561.

You should also contact your City Hall and ask to be transferred to the sanitary department and file complaint against your Landlord.