CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

I live atLos Angeles, CA 90066 Is a Los Angeles address, is

Customer Question

I live at*****Los Angeles, CA 90066
Is a Los Angeles address, is called Mar Vista, and we have Culver City police and fire in our neighborhood businesses need a Culver City business license.
I have rented this house since December, 1987.
Since our landlord is in San Diego, we pay ur rent ahead of time and he cashes each on the first of the month if he has any. Right now he has checks for October, November and December. The rnt is $2000 a month for our 3 bedroom house
My landlord just called me and informed me that he intends to sell the house immediately. As soon as he finds a buyer. So, it is his intention to sell the house asap and for me to leave asap. What are my rights?
Paul (Pete) Helling (###) ###-####
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Okay Thanks

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

As you have lived there for over 12 months, the landlord must give you a minimum of 60 days notice prior to terminating your lease.

This notice must be in writing (a phone call is insufficient).

If the home is sold, the new buyer must give you this notice.

In order to avoid any uncertainty, it may be helpful to write to your landlord, tell him that you understand he is looking to sell the property, but that you are entitled to this 60 day notice in writing. If he intends to terminate your lease, he must do so. If he plans on doing so prior to the end of the rent that he currently has in his possession, he must return the portion of the rent that he is holding that exceeds the notice period (so if you paid for 3 months, you are entitled to the return of 1 month - but this is going to be by the exact number of days).

For resources and specific legal authority:

Dear Customer, I do not participate in the phone call program for the site, however, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions. (If you have questions about these additional services, you can contact our customer service at: Most customers receive a phone call within 5-30 minutes.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Bill There was only a lease in the beginning. I doubt if it was intended to be forever. Perhaps a year. So, I assume I am month to month. Am I still entitled to 60 days notice?

Yes, you are still entitled to the 60 day notice.

Your lease is a "holdover" lease, so all of the same terms of your original lease contract still apply except the term has changed from a "12 month lease" (or whatever the original term was) to a "month to month" agreement.