RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I am a landlord of condo in Naples, fl. I had a tenant that

Customer Question

I am a landlord of condo in Naples, fl. I had a tenant that is supposed to move in Dec 1st 2016, but current tenant is interested in buying the condo. Can I terminate lease of the future tenant without penalty
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 26 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

So if I am understanding you correctly, you already entered into a different lease with a new tenant to take over on December 1st and now wish to cancel that lease because the current tenant wants to buy the condo?

It would depend on if there is any specific language in the contract allowing for the right of the landlord to rescind the agreement, but generally once you and a tenant have signed an agreement, you have entered into a legally binding contract. The future tenant could sue you for damages for not being able to move in December 1st.

What works in your favor is October just started --the future tenant has just about 60 days to find a new, comparable place. Obviously, I would suggest you return any type of deposits/security the future tenant may have provided, but even then, you do still run the risk of being sued for breach.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 25 days ago.

Was there some additional information you needed or clarification about my answer you were seeking? If so, please REPLY, and I'll be happy to help! Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you.