barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

This morning I issued to my a 3 day or quit they were behind

Customer Question

This morning I issued to my a 3 day or quit they were behind july august and september and 650.00 in late fees. I received an email from the tenant stating he deposited 1400.00 in my account today, so far it has not shown up bank says it may have been wired which takes an extra day. his rent is 1100.00 a month due on the first and a 50.00 late charge if not paid by the 5th. If I accept the 1400.00 is it legal for me to write a contract for him to pay 1400.00 a month until all back rent and late charges are paid. Also they have changed employers and phone numbers do I have a right to ask for current numbers. he says I can only reach him by email.
Thank you
Emily Kephart
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If I accept the 1400.00 is it legal for me to write a contract for him to pay 1400.00 a month until all back rent and late charges are paid.

.

Yes, you can enter into any type of settlement agreement you want with the tenant if you think they will abide by it. However by accepting the money you will void out the 3 day and have to start over if you wanted to pursue the eviction action again.

.

But unless they have actually paid the money and you accept it, it won't void the 3 day.

.

Also they have changed employers and phone numbers do I have a right to ask for current numbers.

.

Sure, you can ask for current contact information. But if the tenant is reluctant to give it to you, you may want to check what they give you immediately so you know it isn't just fake information.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks