jb156200, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed practicing attorney in Tampa, Florida.

My daughter is a student in Baltimore and had rented an

Customer Question

My daughter is a student in Baltimore and had rented an apartment with a person who works at the university where she goes to school. After 3 months into the lease, the other person moved out and is making arrangements to shut the utilities off that were in her name. They had a verbal agreement to split the utilities but now my daughter is having to get them turned on in in her name and pay for all of the utilities. She is a graduate student and this will be a hardship on her budget. Does she have any recourse in this matter?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  jb156200 replied 26 days ago.

Good Afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. Please give me a moment as I answer your question.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 26 days ago.

Without a written agreement the utilities are the responsibility of the tenant living in the unit. You may,= look at the rental agreement and see what the landlord listed as the terms for the utilities. There are cases where one tenant terminates their lease agreement early and is still responsible for utilities.

Since your daughter is remaining in the unit, her lease agreement will state it is her responsibility to maintain the utilities during the duration of the lease.

Her recourse would be to file a claim in small claims court. If she has copies of bank statements or cancelled checks from the roommate she may be able to prove 50% responsibility and collect a fee for the early termination.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 26 days ago.

Do you need any clarification of the information provided? Please do not forget to rate my answer. If you have an additional question please let me know.