jb156200
jb156200, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed practicing attorney in Tampa, Florida.
70397729

I lease washers and dryers to apartment buildings. I am 18

Customer Question

I lease washers and dryers to apartment buildings. I am 18 months into a new 72 month contract with one of the building owners. However, recently my washers and dryers at that location have been vandalized and damaged on two different occasions. Can I immediately terminate my contract on that basis without repercussions?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  jb156200 replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I am licensed attorney. Please give me a moment as I answer your question.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 2 months ago.

First you need to review your lease agreement and see if there is provision regarding damage to property. If there is and the building owners are in violation of the lease agreement than you may be able to remove your machines with no consequence. Next, if the lease agreement is silent, you want to send the building owners a certified letter demanding payment for the damage to the machines. You are entitled to be reimbursed for your loss. This does not necessarily mean you may remove the machines without consequence. You may be required to complete the lease; however, you are entitled to replacement cost for the damage.

Expert:  jb156200 replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have an additional question or need clarification regarding this matter.